Monday, November 8, 2010

A Study of Trees (Continued)


As you can tell, I really love trees. Here are two which were drawn about a year apart.  They have a similar theme, tree on a rocky hillside, but are very different.  

The one above was the most recent and much more detail was put into the rocks than the one below.  As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, when I first began drawing trees I typically did not put any leaves in front of the trunk.  This one has a few leaves in front of the trunk and has leaves scattered throughout the branches.  The branches remind me of a very intricate knot.  As I was working on it one person asked me if I knew anything about fractals.  Apparently they had taken a math class on the subject and the branches reminded them of what they had studied.  I am familiar with the subject, but have never studied it; however math is something I enjoy.

The tree above is also the first tree which has a very elaborate root system.  I wanted this drawing to have the feel of being able to see both above and below ground at the same time.  Personally, I like the way it turned out.



As I draw more and more trees, I like to make them more realistic, but with a touch of fantasy.  What is the point in doing art if you cannot have some fun with it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment