Friday, October 15, 2010

A Study of Trees (Continued)


This is one of the earlier trees that I drew about a year ago. You can see that there is a definite difference in the style and the detail of this tree compared to my more recent work. During the beginning I did not put as much detail in the leaves and typically there were no leaves in front of the trunk. This was one of the first tree drawings to break away from being very symmetrical as can be seen below.


This is typical of the work I was doing about a year and a half ago. I was more focused on the trunk and seemed to always need to make the tree balanced and symmetrical. There are trees like this in nature, but these early drawings, to me, seemed to lack any real character. My more recent drawings have more randomness and chaos to them. I personally find this more appealing. 


This tree is one of my personal favorites and was one of the first to have roots which were split. All of these drawings were also created on 8.5" X 11" paper using ballpoint pen.


No comments:

Post a Comment