Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Study of Trees (Continued)



All of the trees I have drawn over the last couple of years have come from my imagination. This particular tree was inspired by one I saw in the distance near Marysville, California. I only got a quick glance at it as I was driving by, but it made quite an impression with it's uniqueness. This tree was also drawn on 8.5" X 11" paper with a ballpoint pen. I have tried other pens like sharpies or gel, but I cannot get the same effect as ballpoint. 

I like the commitment of ink, it forces me to do it right the first time or get real good at hiding my mistakes. I would like to think I mastered the first one, but I am fairly sure it is the second. Drawing with ink is a very slow process, but it is something I enjoy.  The shading takes a pretty light hand and it is necessary to go over the same spot many times to get the results I want. The more I work on my drawing skills the more detailed and elaborate my work seems to get. Most of my latest drawings have taken more than forty hours to complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment